Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Smile and Hug can go along way

Jean Baynes
Instructor M Goodsitt
Writing 101
22 April 2012



                               A Smile and Hug can go along way

Wow, I have always wanted to be a nurse, but after today I’m not so sure anymore. My full name is Brenda Marie Bones, and I go by Bren. Today is my first official day as a registered nurse. At first, I was really excited to start my day, but as my day has progressed everything I touch seems to be getting messed up. First of all, I accidently gave a patient the wrong meds, then had another patient get sick all over me. Then, a doctor yelled at me for someone else’s mistake, and to top it all off I’m in charge of a five year old patient who’s always crying. I’m so frustrated and really don’t know how to make my day any better. Seriously, I don’t understand why she cries every time she sees me. I went to my patient’s room whose name Susie and asked her what was wrong. “In response, I get a blood-curdling scream and she started yelling No! No! Leave me alone!” I just don’t understand. Is it something I did or said to her?

Susie is a five year old little girl with blonde hair and big blue eyes. Susie is very scared and just wants to go home. “Where’s my Mommy, Susie asked”? Nurse Bren walked into my room with a stern look on her face and says your mom is not here and I don’t know when she is coming back. “Oh well, Can I have something to eat then? Asked Susie”. No you may not stated Nurse Bren. Susie was so hungry and didn’t understand why she couldn’t have anything to eat. Susie began to cry and Nurse Bren quickly walked right out the room door.

I just don’t understand what Susie wants. I told her she couldn’t eat and she just cries. Why? I just don’t get it. I will go back in and ask her what’s going on? “Susie is everything okay”? Asked Nurse Bren. Susie just stares at me and doesn’t utter a word, she just begins to cry. I walk over to her and let her know that everything is going to be alright. Finally, for the first time since we had met, I saw a smile spread across her face. Wow, I didn’t realize that approaching Susie with a calm and relaxed tone would give me such a different response. I really need to be aware of how I enter Susie’s room.

From that point forward, during the duration of Susie’s stay, I would enter her room with a smile and she would just brightened up immediately. The day that Susie was to be released was one of the saddest days of my newly started nursing career. No one ever tells you how much time you will spend with your patients, and that maybe at the end of their stay you will be attached to them emotionally.

I went in to tell Susie goodbye and that I was happy that she was getting to go home and that she was feeling better. Susie gave me a huge smile and the biggest hug ever. As she left tears came to my eyes because I never thought I would get anything other than a cry from her.

My experience with Susie taught me that the way you treat a patient, no matter their age makes a big difference in the interactions you will have with them. I will always remember that a five year old was responsible for making me realize just how important a smile and hug can truly be. Looking back on my first day of being a nurse, I now realize that I was truly blessed to have Susie as my patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment