Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Opinion of Nursing and Empathy


Jean Baynes

Instructor M Goodsitt

Writing 101

17 April 2012



                                                                PB G: Educational/Professional Genre





Opinion Page



What do you think about when you first hear the word empathy?  Well, when I hear the word empathy, I think of someone who has the ability to be compassionate and understanding of one’s feelings and needs.  I hope that these individuals have the capacity to help me with my needs and maybe even my wants. 

I want to share a little about nursing and empathy and how they go hand in hand with one another.  Do you think that you are an empathic individual?  I would most definitely say that I am.  I think that having the ability to show your feelings and have the concept of understanding someone else is such an awesome quality to have.  So I feel that being in the medical field, you should be a compassionate person who wants to do what is best for your patient. 

Empathy in the nursing field is as essential part of you being a nurse.  You must be able to gain the trust of your patients as well as the trust of your fellow co-workers.  Your patients will then allow you to be the “middleman” and rally for them treatment needs and recovery process. 

Empathy in the medical profession should be a requirement.  With more education on the skills or qualities of empathy or even compassion training, I feel that medical field would be such a better environment.  But, seriously some might say who cares about empathy.  As long as you do your job then it really doesn’t matter how your patient feels about you or even the lasting impression you left behind.  This is the biggest mistake that the medical profession is making in this day and age.  Compassion and the ability to understand you patient and their needs is what keep bringing your patients back to your office/hospital and paying your salary.

If the medical profession truly took the time to care about their patients, than doctors, nurses or any medical personal would be more inclined to make their patients happy and try to establish a rapport with all the potential patients or individuals that they will come across on a daily basis. 



So in closing, my advice to anyone who is entering the medical field should be prepared to encounter some individuals who take the time to care about their patients as well as their recovery.  At the same time, you will come in contact with individuals who don’t care about their patients or their needs and just think of their profession as a way to pay the bills.  What type of nurse do you want your patients to associate you with? A caring, compassionate nurse who helped them with their treatment and recovery.  Or a nurse who couldn’t wait to leave their work environment and won’t hesitate to step on anyone’s toes as they do.  I would prefer to have my patients remember me as the nurse who stopped and listened to their concerns and would assist them with their medical needs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment